Thursday, September 27, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 31 (Cont._2)

Somewhere in the process of planning this August wedding, I asked Brenda if, maybe she might just want to elope. The look she gave me would have melted Kryptonite.

“Things aren’t just about me, or us,” my future Trophy Wife explained. “They are for other people as well,” adding “stupid” as a form of gentle emphasis.  I got the point but she continued nonetheless.

“My mama and daddy worked hard to raise me and they deserve a nice, but affordable, wedding, not a Las Vegas production nor a beach party extravaganza by any means, but a nice wedding they can remember for their only daughter.”

At that point, I chose to stay out of the whole thing. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Vernell would be her Maid of Honor, my brother best man, and my neighbor in charge of logistics. I knew nothing about church weddings, having never attended one. I felt like the late Jerry Clower who once remarked that in the first football game he ever saw, he was a starting lineman.

The last wedding, of any sort, I had observed was on a Saturday when college friend Leland Bassett called and said he had to get married. That day. Leland always moved a little faster than the curves allowed, but this caper took the cake, so to speak. Somehow, a friend of the bride-to-be's mother located a county employee in Tulsa who agreed to sneak into the courthouse and get a marriage license (this was Oklahoma, mind you). That minor obstacle overcome, we, after some exertion, found a county judge in Nowata, Oklahoma who performed the ceremony around eight o’clock that evening in his bathrobe.

We all assumed that some untoward news had prompted the urgency, but no. Leland was just the sort of person who, having decided to do something, went about it without delay and at full speed. A couple of years or so later, when I was in the Navy, he and his wife had their first child, a beautiful little girl. This adventure, the one-day wedding, occurred in the 1960s and didn’t strike many as too odd at the time. Not much did in those days.

After a couple of beers one night, I told Brenda that story as she was busy sewing dresses for the wedding.

She didn’t think it was very funny, and told me so.

Before I knew it, she had
told the whole world, via
the old Arkansas Gazette.


No comments:

Post a Comment