Tuesday, September 18, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 29 (Cont._2)

I woke early Sunday morning and brewed a pot of coffee. It was early June of 1972 and I had enjoyed quite a cruise the last 18 months or so. I’d come a long way from a lonely sailor sentenced to over two years in the East Coast Navy after a nervous year in Vietnam. I had come home to Arkansas with a few dollars in savings, no prospects, and a 1967 Chevy Impala that held my entire belongings. I had intended fully to move on back out to the City By The Bay.

Now, I had a job here and prospects, including a new little sports car I called The Green Angel. And, speaking of angels, I had a steady girlfriend who seemed, when the planets were all aligned, to like me. San Francisco seemed far, far away. There was this safe harbor, though, that I couldn’t seem to reach, no matter which way I tacked.

In short, I wanted to drop anchor, but the shoals were rocky, the distant ports were many, and the lure of Bougainville blossoms on the ears of South Sea maidens still haunted my dreams. Male insecurities generate a lot of indecisiveness in life.

There wasn’t anything I could do about it that morning, so I filled a thermos with coffee, grabbed an empty cup, and wandered down by the little white church that backed upon the Arkansas River. As I eased around the building, the Sunday morning music started. The mysterious guitar player kicked off a version of “I’ll Fly Away.” I stopped and listened.

In a moment, I eased down the trail and found my seat on the “Big Rock” overlooking the river. Several more hymns filled the air, then voices. My mind drifted away with the river and I lost myself in wondering why life was never as simple as I had thought it might be.

I finished the thermos of coffee there, as confused with the last of it as I had been with the first. I rose, nodded to the river, and started back to my apartment. As I walked along the church, I heard the faint but familiar sounds of a sermon being finished. With “every head bowed and every eye closed,” I heard that old exhortation that had been such a part of my youth.

Then the strangest thing happened. The guitar player began his thing. I couldn’t believe it but a familiar tune eased through the walls of that little building and out to where I stood. I knew it immediately, even before the congregation started in with “Oh, Why Not Tonight?”

Crap. I hastened on, thermos and cup in hand and confusion in mind.

Later, I drove to the office and pretended to work. Deciding I needed to straighten out my life, I drove home and spent the afternoon cleaning my apartment. I would clean awhile and look out the window.

No Brenda.

Then I took a leisurely walk to the dumpster.

No Brenda.

As I walked by my neighbor’s apartment, she walked to the screen door, fastening her bra, and looked through at me. She just made a “Harrumph,” sound and turned away.

I finished cleaning and took a nap. Sometime late in the afternoon, I heard the familiar scratch on my window screen. I jumped up.

Brenda.

She stood at my door in fading daylight, her long hair shining brighter than I had ever seen it. She had applied makeup. Unusual … she was a person who was as beautiful without makeup as she was with it, I thought. She wore her favorite yellow shirt, the one that matched her hair so well. She had on loose fitting jeans and tennis shoes with white socks.

“I’m bored,” she said. “Been cleaning all day and straightening up things. Take me for a ride.”

I thought, “You just walk up, after ignoring me all day, and start making demands? Just who the hell do you think you are?”

I said, “Okay.”

We started out Cantrell and I didn’t say a lot. Neither did she. I broke first. “Talk to your folks today?” I said.

“Yeah.”

“And?”

“They are fine. Went to church. You talk to yours?”

“Yeah.”

“How are they?”

“They asked about you.”

“Oh? Asked what?”

“How you were.”

“And?”

“I told them you were fine.”

“And?”

“That I would tell you they said ‘hello.’”

This line of sparkling conversation occupied us until we reached the entrance to Walton Heights subdivision. I turned and followed the twisting path to Rivercrest Drive. There, I turned left and followed it to where it ended with a magnificent view of the sun beginning to set over the Arkansas River Valley and Pinnacle Mountain. I parked my car and we got out.

The view was particularly enchanting that evening. The darkness enclosed us as if making a safe and special spot. We leaned against the car and watched. She took my hand. That emboldened me.

“Brenda,” I said.

“What?” she said. For a second or two, I feared I had spoiled this precious moment for her by intruding upon the silence.

I thought, “What the hell?”

I said, “I know we haven’t known one another that long, and I know I might not be the best catch in the world, and I know you could do better, but I was just wondering if you might marry me?

It just doesn’t get any more romantic than that, does it?

She turned her face away from the view and looked at me. The setting sun made it glow. I would have jumped over the drop-off into the sunset had she asked me to. Instead, she said, “I don’t even have to think about it.”

“I don’t even have to think about it?” That wasn’t an answer. I looked her in the eyes for a clue.

“Yes,” she said.

“Yes, I will.”

“Yes.”

Marry a farmer's daughter?
Why not?


No comments:

Post a Comment