Saturday, September 29, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 31: (Cont._4)

Women appeared more and more in the news as July of 1972 progressed, along with plans for our wedding. The world began learning what I already knew. Women were shedding their bonds. A strong woman, and they could all be strong when it suited them, would become a force with which to reckon in the future. I learned more about that daily. The guys down at the coffee shop didn’t much like it, but that mattered very little.

That month alone saw some news, front-page and not society-section, that should have alerted the most ardent misogynists to this new tectonic shift in our societal substructure. Signs were that, in the future, the feminine half of our species would lay increasing claim to a place at the table so to speak. Had men been paying attention, they might have noticed.

On the first day of the month, for example Gloria Steinem published the first edition of a feminist magazine, "Ms." It featured Wonder Woman on the cover. Message delivered.

Less than a week later, the FBI swore in Susan Lynn Roley & Joanne E Pierce as its first two female members. What would “Jedger” have thought about that? One can only wonder.

The sports world began to take notice. Tennis star Billy Jean King was drawing attention to women’s tennis, making a bunch of male chauvinists nervous. Women golfers such as American Susie Maxwell Berning drew their own share of attention.

In politics, Jean Westwood became the first woman chosen to head the Democratic National Committee. A wag at the downtown men’s health club wondered, “What next, some babe wanting to run for president?”

“Nah,” another said, “We’ll have a [adjective deleted] president before we have a woman one.”

I paid little attention at the time, I was still fixated on “manly-man” things. Yoko Ono broke up the Beatles with her quiet roar. Paul McCartney responded by forming his own band, something called “Wings.” I gave it little chance of success. In Northern Ireland and England, they were murdering the hell out of one another. Sometimes I wondered if Matthew Arnold hadn’t nailed it when he wrote that, “ … peace has left the upper world. And now keeps only in the grave.” After all, we were still shipping full caskets home from South Vietnam.

All this time, I was an American male, and I had “laid down my sword and shield,” so news slid off me as did concern of any decline in male hegemony. What did I have to fear? I had a good job, and evenings saw me undergoing “groom-training,” taught by Brenda, Vernell, and my neighbor. I had no time for so-called “women’s lib.”

Tonight’s lesson centered on my script. “Three lines is all you have,” Venell said. “How could you blow that? Let’s try again. She took my shoulders, rather roughly I thought, and positioned me next to Brenda, who seemed a bit out of patience. “Now,” said Vernell.

“I will. I do. And I wed you with …”

“Stop, dammit stop,” Venell yelled. “With this ring I do thee wed.”

“Ya’ll are making me nervous,” I said.

My neighbor responded, moving in close to me, “We’re going to make you think ‘nervous,’ Buster.”

I pointed at her blouse and looked at Vernell. She said to her sister, “Button up, dammit, and don’t you own a bra?”

They made adjustments. I turned to Brenda for solace. She looked at me with those sweet eyes that had so captivated me when I met her. “Don’t screw this up,” she said. “My relatives are even coming down from Chicago for it. You’d damn well better be ready, and, … look at me when I’m talking to you, … sober.”

Such soothing balm got me through the evening. Later, I found myself keyed up and not ready for bed, so I flicked on the ten o’clock news. I sat in my most comfortable chair with a beer and waited for some indication that the world was stable and level and I wouldn’t be facing any new challenges to societal norms.

Then, there it was, like an oracle shouting “Get ready for more.”

From war-torn England came another subterranean rumble. That week had seen the international debut of something called a “Gay Pride March.”

"Sweetie, you don't mind if
I call you Sweetie, do you?
You screw this wedding up, and
a ton of bricks will land on you."





No comments:

Post a Comment