Thursday, September 13, 2018

My Redacted Life: Chapter 27 (Cont. _4)

Back at work, things were moving fast. Tom wasn’t too happy about the photos I took of the property west of Little Rock. I offered to take him out and show him how wooded it was and how devoid of vistas. He groused a bit and we moved on. I went back to work on the Hope project while the engineers were working on our first development project, a single-family subdivision not far from Little Rock.

Those who had seen the layout said it would be the best subdivision in the area. Gently curving streets offered a smooth circulation system. A well-landscaped entry way promised to add a level of sophistication not common around the two towns bordering the site. All looked promising.

I was beginning to see what a talented staff we had. Ron McConnell was a maser technician. He had learned his craft well at the highway department. Even the engineer spoke highly of him and he didn’t speak highly of too many folks.

The others in the office I’ve already mentioned. I was probably the weak link, just an old former sailor trying to get his “land-legs” going. I suppose the others feared some sort of flashback, so they pretty much left me alone. I bumbled along.

But I was meeting some fine people as I traveled the state. The elected officials I met were dedicated public servants with a reputation for honesty and diligence bested my no other profession I’ve ever encountered. Salaries for mayors and state officials were set at a pittance by the state. Mayors and others served more from a sense of noblesse oblige than necessity. It did stop decent and qualified people who lacked private resources from running for office. The thinking was, I guess, that if we paid well, we might elect scoundrels who just wanted to get into public office to enrich themselves, their friends, and their families.

I’ve met many fine and admirable mayors. One did not solely exhibit the most of those traits by any stretch, but did typify the high quality of individuals who have served our cities. His name was Tom Ellsworth and he served as Mayor of Hot Springs for a number of years. In Arkansas, it is a matter of great respect to carry the sobriquet of being “an old family.” He was “Old Hot Springs,” make no mistake about that. In addition, he was the epitome of a true Southern gentleman, always dressed to “the Nines,” and gentle in both nature and action. To show what an institution he was, I’ll point out that his family estate had a name: “Wildwood.” That’s “Old Arkansas” writ large.

His name I mention with reference, and because he was the victim of a bizarre incident involving visitors from Washington D.C., members of our firm, and a cast of local citizens. It deserves mention in a redacted version of my professional career.

More tomorrow.

The Ellsworth family home, circa 1884.


No comments:

Post a Comment