Thursday, September 20, 2018

My Redacted LIfe: Chapter 29 (Cont._4)

The next week passed. We were a betrothed couple so the world looked a little rounder and 1972 seemed like an even more memorable year. The girls, Brenda, Vernell, and her sister, began plans for the wedding. The few times I was around them, I heard lots of giggles and snickers.

They left me out completely.

I didn’t mind. I had work to do. Tom was getting antsy that we finish the Hope plan so the engineering could begin. Business was falling off Downtown there as in most cities. Later, pundits delighted in blaming downtown malls for the death of retail in the central business, and those misadventures certainly didn’t help. But the end had settled on downtown retail much earlier with the proliferation of family automobiles, the death of public transit, and the construction of alluring shopping centers that offered excitement along with spending. Centrifugal force spun retail away from the city core and into the low-density suburbs, to be chased by swarms of shoppers in individual vehicles.

Since ancient humankind first danced in order to make the rains come, we have believed we could cause the unlikely or impossible to happen by human interference. So modern sapiens envisioned the downtown mall as a way to counterattack reality. Reality is an impervious foe, however. Urban planners no more knew this at the time than did the American military or the government that directed it.

I knew nothing about all this in 1972. I danced along merrily with the rest. It would take years of heartbreaking reality before the truth revealed itself. I was still a believer in urban planning’s prowess in imitative magic. Besides, I had me a girl, or she had me. I didn’t know which. That made me untouchable.

On Wednesday, she met me downtown for lunch at Land’s Cafeteria on Markham. Then we walked all the way over to Cave’s Jewelry on Main. There we picked out and bought an engagement ring for her and put some wedding rings on the layaway for the two of us. This thing was getting serious.

It was Daylight Savings Time by now. I took off work a little early so we could drive out and tell her folks. They didn’t throw a fit. In fact, they took it in good humor. I didn’t have my hair greased back and didn’t carry a pack of Lucky Strikes wound into an arm of my T-shirt. Nor did I ask her father if he might hire me as a farm hand after the wedding. She assured her mother that I was, indeed, some years older than she, so her daughter wasn’t “robbing the cradle.” They were pleased, I felt.

Hazel did inquire where and when the wedding might be. “We’ll have it in the Methodist church in town so all the relatives can make it,” Brenda said. “I’m sure Grandma will want to come, and she can’t travel far.”

“That’s good,” Hazel said. “I can’t imagine a girl wanting to get married someplace her grandmother couldn’t get to.”

With that, we were set. Hazel would help get the news out. That wouldn’t be hard for her. The office of Dr. B.E. Holmes, where she worked, was the official news center for most of Lonoke County. Walter Cronkite would have marveled at the speed with which information vital to everyday life in the polis and surrounding area spread.

My name, the last one at least, quickly became a household one, though challenging in pronunciation. Who was this mysterious man who had stolen the heart of the Belle of Lonoke County? Some decided I must secretly be a physician, a member of the only profession good enough for her.

The next Saturday, we drove to Pine Bluff and broke the news to my folks. Their response proved predictable. Any man that Brenda would marry couldn’t be all bad. That even included me.

Thus, we set the stage for a great adventure. Our ship was rigged, the crew was ready, the lines were taught, the anchor ready to be hauled, and the shoals well marked.

Most of them were anyway.

When is my life going
to get simple again?


No comments:

Post a Comment