Sunday, April 7, 2019

A state of grace, or of confusion?

Those who know me can tell you that I stay confused about half the time. This state of being stems from ignorance, of course. I don’t seek ignorance. It simply floats down and covers me like a soft spring mist.

No wonder then that I find myself particularly confused early Sunday mornings when I set aside time for contemplation of the Christian scriptures. These allegedly set forth the prescription for a better life beyond the travesties of our earthly wanderings. Nowadays, though, among so-called Christians, we find the scriptures, particularly the words of the Galilean, mostly unused, or, at a minimum, heavily redacted.

I’ve mentioned this to the Galilean more than once. He says I think too much and should practice, as he puts it, “allowing the mind to drift along the current, as if, “… being carried toward internal peace by the River Jordan itself.” He still has the gift of speech, doesn’t he?

Once, I responded by asking him why he preached the Sermon on the Mount if he didn’t intend to hold his people to it. It is, I pointed out to him, considered by many to be the most beautiful passage of the New Testament, perhaps of any words over spoken. Why does he allow that wondrous wisdom to lie un-worshiped, while so many hijack his teachings and concentrate on their opposite?

He simply shrugged and said, “My ways ain’t your ways.” He knows that upsets me.

This morning I selected a single passage, one that experts (of which I’m not) call “The Beatitudes.” The word is from the Latin beatus, meaning “blessed.” Ahhh. Therein lies the root of my confusion.

I chose the first of the Beatitudes for closer inspection. Two of the gospels state it thusly:

“Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” – Matthew 5-3 (KJV)

“Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.” - Luke 6:20 (KJV)

Yes, I’ve chosen the King James version since those in the “flag-decal crowd” don’t trust the scriptures unless they are presented in the original American.

Anyway,

“Why,” I asked the Galilean, “would you teach that we are blessed if we are poor in spirit or, worse, just plain poor? Aren’t your followers supposed to enjoy riches untold?”

“Idiot,” he explained.

“I didn’t say it,” Joel Osteen did.”

“Don’t aggravate me this morning,” he said. “I’m not in the mood for it. Next thing I know you’ll be quoting …uh, … what’s his name? Oh yes, Franklin Graham. He’s a real hoot, ain’t he?”

“Can we get back on topic?”

“Surely,” he said. Now tell me, what did the word ‘blessed’ mean back in my day?”

I thought. “I suppose it meant ‘favored,’ or something like that.”

“Idiot.”

“Was I wrong?”

“It meant ‘happy.’ You know what it means to be happy, don’t you?”

“I think so.”

“Don’t you remember my saying that my ways ain’t … .?”

“Our ways,” I said. “I remember.”

“Well then,” he said. “If my ways ain’t your ways, did you ever consider that it’s because my world is not your world?”

I stopped to think about that.

He said, “Haven’t you ever had to endure some pain in order to arrive at a higher state of pleasure?”

“Yes.”

“I mean a genuine, five-star, gut-busting state of pleasure, nothing like normal “feel-good days.”

“Does military service count?”

“Bingo,” he said.

“You’re telling me then that enduring poverty, or the poverty of spirit, might just be preparing one for a higher state of grace down the line somewhere?”

“Bingo,” he said.

“But what about those who only seek the wealth of the moment? What about those who seek false riches? What about those who deprive the poor in order to enrich themselves, their children, or their friends? What about those who worship such people and put them in charge of the common folks? What happens to them?”

“You don’t want to know.” He said. With that, he disappeared.

I wish he would have stayed. I had so many things to ask him. He had planted a seed. Why didn’t he stay and help it grow? Was he just teasing me? Why don’t more people live by what he taught on that rocky mountain top so many years ago? Why does he always leave me confused?

Well, I guess his ways ain’t my ways.

Been confused for a long time.




No comments:

Post a Comment