Sunday, April 21, 2019

Hard times ...

Theology Time: I’m still stuck on the Beatitudes. I skipped the Second last week for some reason or other. Maybe it’s because this year so far has involved so much mourning for me and my family. Back to it though, on the Mount, the Galilean sought to comfort us:

“Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”

Taken out of what seem to be the conventional context, we might expect to be comforted when we have cause to mourn. In this context, we might withstand horrible sadness in anticipation of earthly comfort. This comfort will be all the more soothing and wonderful because we have known the hard times and they are past. The winds of fortune blow from all directions. Wait for a better day. Help is coming. This [sadness] too shall pass. A better day is coming. Happy days will be here again.

We know that it isn’t true. Even when we pray in song, the way Stephen Foster did, imploring “Hard times, come around no more.”

Times don’t always get better. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don’t. Sometimes it just keeps piling on. That’s why the conventional interpretation for the word “blessed” in the Beatitudes is “happy.”

No, we don’t accept hard times because they will end. We don’t mourn because our troubles on Earth will end.

We mourn because we anticipate a place  beyond Earthly life where mourning will end and those who have borne it the most will be the happiest to get shed of it. The Galilean was promising us a better home, a heavenly home, where troubles will be no more.

That’s not much comfort for those who harbor doubts instead of faith. Even those who aren’t affected by personal troubles must tremble at the condition of our country and the world. We recall the words of Matthew Arnold perhaps, in his poem Lines Written in Kensington Gardens:

I, on men’s impious uproar hurled,
Think often, as I hear them rave,       
That peace has left the upper world, 
And now keeps only in the grave.

Arnold found peace in quiet garden. Many find peace in the words of the Galilean, and bless him for it. A friend of mine from years ago during my time in the United States Navy, found it another way. We were in temporary duty at a base in Monterey, California. I had already received orders for Naval Security Forces at Da Nang. He had no idea where he would go. It didn’t matter. He hated every aspect of military life. Location made no difference.

His name was Robert and he carried around a number of problems, some social, some political, some romantic, some internal, and some external. One day, as we walked through a then-deserted Cannery Row, he looked at me with sad eyes and said, “You know, when a child is born, they give him a bucket, and as he goes through life, they shovel crap into it, and he has to carry it with him through life while it gets heavier and heavier.”

It was somber thought and I remember wondering, at the time, what John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts would have thought of it. I didn’t think long on it. One morning, Robert failed to appear at muster. I figured his assignment had come through.

About two weeks later, shortly before I was to leave, a call came my work place. Personal calls didn’t pass muster, but they let me take it out of sorrow for my future, I suppose. A happy voice greeted me. It was Robert.

“Where are you?”

“At the nut-ward at the Treasure Island base in San Francisco,” he said.

“How did you get there?”

“I told them I was giving up my bucket of crap and the Navy could do what they wanted to with it.” Then the phone went dead.

I never heard from him again.


Comfort them?
Or test them for drugs?

No comments:

Post a Comment