Monday, April 8, 2019

Don't get me started: Good souls ...

After a rain-soaked weekend, one can almost hear, of a Monday morning, the collective groan of folks going to work. It reminds me of the words of Henry David Thoreau when he wrote, “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.”

Over the years, we tortured poor Thoreau until his words were quoted as, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and die with their song still inside them.”

Actually, I’m not sure that I “agree 100 percent with his police work,” in either case, to borrow a quote from Sheriff Marge Gunderson of Brainerd, N.D.

I’m afraid there is a tendency for us to assume that having great “songs” inside us must demand that one have a great position in life. I’m afraid there are souls from the highest skyscrapers in Manhattan that not only lead lives of quiet desperation, but could only spew songs of imbecilic ineptitude. Just read today’s newspaper.

Conversely, I have the singular honor of having known, once, a beautiful soul named Almeda Riddle who had so many wonderful songs in her heart that one could hardly count them. Born in Cleburne County, Arkansas, she received a welcome in such far-off places as the hallowed halls of Harvard University. This was back in the days of folk music, a time I miss a lot.

She could be “misunderestimated,” as all wondrous souls are. Once, after appearing at a Folk Music concert in Little Rock, a “journalist,” having expected, I suppose, to see Joan Baez, or Joni Mitchell, gave Almeda’s reedy voice a scathing review. There was a great scurrying next morning by her hosts to hide the trashy review from her. As far as I know, she never saw it.

At party back then, fueled by a tragic volume of alcohol, I was induced to play “The Wildwood Flower” for her and even to sing along with her heart-piercing voice. She took it in stride like a true saint. She’d heard worse, I imagine.

But as for me, I would not trade that moment with “Granny Riddle," for days with the “beautiful people” who are writhing in the fetid swamps of America today, dominating the headlines from cold hearts and empty souls.


To have known her is a song in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment