Saturday, January 6, 2018

Growing Up Southern: January 6, 2018

There are things that we detest as adults because of childhood experiences, even though others love that very thing. I know. Believe me.

For example, I know someone from a wealthy family in a small town whose father made his children work a garden each year so folks could see that even kids born to comfort knew how to work. As adult, this individual wouldn’t have lifted a spade or planted a seed for anything in the world.

With me, it is wood. I mentioned before that my father sold fire-wood in addition to operating, along with my sainted mother, a small country grocery store. I may have made it sound like I enjoyed the loading of wood, along with driving around delivering and unloading it. It wasn’t too bad. I had much rather have been enjoying a game of “work-up” with my pals, but, since I had no choice in the matter, I made the best of it.

It wasn’t the hauling of firewood to poor folks that turned me away from the experience. It was just the opposite.

Once a year, you see, at Christmas time, my father would purchase loads of what we called “fireplace wood,” i.e. split logs suitable for use in rich folks’ fireplaces. All that had to be done was to load it, deliver it, unload it and stack it in a picturesque fashion for retrieval by some doctor, lawyer, banker, or, in one instance, the Chief Justice of the Arkansas Supreme Court whose daughter was among the most beautiful and adored girls of her class. Believe me. I know.

I would be during Christmas break as a pre-teen that my life would change. As I say, the wood was already split and cut to size. Daddy had a group of men, among them Amos Fletcher, Roedock Tiggins, and John Nathaniel who worked on occasion for him. John was slightly disabled as the result of an untimely glance at a young girl walking down Highway 15 while he was operating a saw, but they were all good men who tolerated me when in their presence while, I’m sure, bemoaning, in private, the fact that we occupied the planet simultaneously.

Anyway. The wood is loaded. The truck is ready. The hired-hands are in place. Things are in place for delivery of the wood to the wealthiest families in Pine Bluff. Where, you might ask, did I fit in? There were strong, grown men ready, willing, and able to do the job. I’m sure they would have found my help more of a nuisance than a benefit. My father trusted them implicitly.

It was simple, you see. None of them could read. Further, strange “colored” men talking to white people whom they didn’t know in those days was fraught with potential dangers. That’s where I came in.

It was my job to act as a 1950s version of a GPS system, and minor jefe. I was to find the addresses of our rich patrons, arrange the unloading, help with the unloading, and arrange an inspection when the work was all done. This I did while hoping to whatever gods might be that the patrons’ daughters, who were my classmates in another life, didn’t come out to take the air and ask me how I was enjoying the Christmas break.

Often, they did.

I think back about it and realize that I learned a lesson from all this. That lesson was that one should never be ashamed to be found in the presence or company of honest men who work for a living against greater odds than I could ever imagine. It is a lesson that I hope has molded my life for the better. It certainly is a lesson that taught me the benefits of my race, sex, upbringing, and social status, none of which I did a thing to deserve but which gave me a huge step up in life. I can only hope that somehow it helped me to understand that folks are “… not to be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

Yes, it was a lesson well worth the learning.

I still don’t care to own a fireplace, though.


All things considered, I would have rather
been practicing climbing, or torturing
farm animals with pals Boogie Shannon
and Jim Fletcher, son of Amos.

No comments:

Post a Comment