Monday, January 29, 2018

Sunrise with Schubert: January 29, 2018

The sun’s coming up again this morning, though judging by last evening's posts on social media, many of my friends didn’t expect it to.

I guess, even though it’s Monday, the day is ours to do with what we wish. I’ve already decided to skip the news and spend the morning with music in the background. That always helps me get off to a better start. Already, some random thoughts have filtered through the haze that passes as a brain in my case.

Saw where a woman got herself quoted in the state newspaper as saying she would like to write a book called Depression is a Choice. I’m not sure of the context or details about her life. She probably just meant to be quippy and quotable. It still offended me.

I’ve lost two family members and at least one business associate to depression, and I’ll damn assure you that none of them chose it. That doesn’t include my brother veterans.

In two days, we begin the commemoration of the beginning of the 1968 Tet Offensive in that dark and dreary point in history, in a land far from the society balls of America. Those of us who survived, to a person, can tell stories about depression and, at the same time tell you where you can put the word “choice.”

Anyway, it’s a new day. I spent the afternoon yesterday attending the visitation for a cousin who died last week. He had led a full life, but I hadn’t seen much of him in our adult lives and didn’t know his family well. Still, the experience touched me, as the death of any family member will. Additionally, visiting the place where I was born and raised always innervates nodes of memories in me, like the smell of the inside of an old church.

Passing through one neighborhood, I recalled a young man from my school days, a gifted athlete and straight-A student—handsome, personable, popular, envied, and without blemish nor impediment to ultimate glory, until the day he, unaware of the danger, decided to treat sore muscles from football practice with an electric massager while taking a bath. It could have been any of us. We had never been adequately warned about the dangers of an otherwise benevolent technology. Progress always comes with a price, a price he paid to save the rest of us.

I drove other old streets of a city that had once been grand and prosperous … for half its inhabitants. Its grandeur has fled in modern times, along with its glory, to find more tranquil lives in places with homogeneous populations of the proper type. That’s just a sign of our times. Lists published on the “net” tell us what cities are winners and which are losers in this redistribution, at least as society defines such things. Sometimes I feel that the Galilean might come up with different lists of places where we should go.

One never knows, does one?

On the way back, I drove through a town, population 84, that had once been a thriving community that even boasted its own bank. The empty concrete slabs tell us how many businesses flourished there back in the day when an agricultural economy supported such places. I counted, simply driving through, maybe a dozen such bleak reminders.

Life is short, shorter for some than others. Grandeur flees. Glory seeks solace. Someday, if we are lucky, a group of folks will gather in a room and share anecdotes about us.

What to do on a new Monday?

I think I’ll go and create some anecdote material of the grand and glorious kind.





No comments:

Post a Comment