Thursday, January 25, 2018

Morning Thoughts: January 25, 2018

Spent a wonderful evening last with a young friend of Mexican heritage. Largely abandoned here at age 12, he persevered and survived. Brenda and I were blessed to help him get an education, and Green Card. Then, on what was one of the most wonderful days of our life, we watched him raise his hand and become an American citizen.

 If you’ve never done that, watched people become citizens of our country, you ought to do it sometime. It will put some pride in your heart.

We talked of so many things. I was struck by his love of people and of his two countries. His work ethic is beyond reproach and a great future stretches before him. I always feel a little closer to the Galilean my after my friend and I get a chance to sit and talk.

 He told me one very interesting thing about Mexico and other countries south of our borders. I had always halfway believed in what I call “The Ernest Hemmingway-Jimmy Buffett” mythology. It posits that natives of other countries hate all Americans save the two of them. Everyone else belongs to a group called “The Ugly Americans.” Except for their money, those in this group are despised and ridiculed.

Not so, says my friend. His opinion is that people in those countries respect Americans who come to their country and treat them as equals, even those who move there to live.

That’s comforting to know.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment