Thursday, January 11, 2018

Morning Thoughts: January 11, 2018

When I was just a young boy, I grew up "out in the country." What I wanted then, was to grow up and have a place in a big city like Lucy and Ricky Ricardo had. Almost made it. The road to my dream got a little bumpy, though, when I married a farmer's daughter.

Now we have what we call "a farm," which is really just a 125-acre patch of pastures and forest. We do have a high-rise condo unit in Little Rock, a not-so-big city but a nice one. We recently bought another house in a small town: Lonoke, AR in which to care for my mother-in-law. That's another nice city. Now we, like the hero (heroine?) in our favorite movie says, "We don't know where we are until we hear someone call our name."

Let's face it. I like cities. I don't mind farms, grew up around them, but I love cities.

That's why I keep working some. See, I get to work for the cities of Arkansas and that is both a treat and an honor.

So, I'm in Fort Smith, Arkansas today, it's another nice city, the one from where Mattie and Rooster took off to find her daddy's murderer.

I'll get to spend time with exceptionally fine people, swap war stories, and learn things. Go ahead and envy me. I'll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment